Friday, December 3, 2010

And the Snow Goes On...

Well, we have about 6" of snow on the ground from today, and it looks like we're in for several more hours of snow to come.

The little kiddos are with Daddy and the two older girls have finished with school.  One is out riding the four wheeler and the other one is dreaming of horses!  In fact, she's making up songs about how much she thinks of horses.  It's SO cute and irritating at the same time, lol.

I'm working on Part 3 of Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll.

Let me start by apologizing if I offend anyone.  This is my blog and the opinions expressed here are mine alone.

Oh My Gosh, I HATE using the paper backing to do these blocks.

Part 3 is making 8½" string blocks, and Bonnie suggests cutting pages from phone books to use as a foundation.  (I used paper piecing paper because my husband has this incredibly weird aversion to cutting up phone books.  I SWARE, we have phone books that are as old as our marriage!)

I have tried this method a couple of times and I hated it then, but I thought, "I'm going to follow the instructions.  Maybe there's something to this that I don't get yet."  But, there's not.  Using a paper foundation is just not for me.

After trying a couple, I just started making the blocks without the foundation and it's working better.

I'm using lots of starch (thanks to Harriet, he he he).

Is anyone else working in Part 3?  How's it going for you?

6 comments:

Sara said...

Tamera - I agree with you on not liking the paper baking for strings blocks. The starch helps the fabric stay stable so you really can get by without the foundation paper. No quilt police will track you down, so go for it! And enjoy that snow.

Melissa @Lilac Lane said...

I personally like to paper piece. It's a new skill of mine in the last couple of years. I am so jealous of the snow. We've had none this year. And the farmers sure could use it!

QuiltSue said...

I like paper piecing, but for complicated blocks with tiny pieces, I sure wouldn't use it for string blocks though.

Kimberly said...

I can relate to the 4-wheeler and horse comments. I have one who would ride 4-wheeler all day and one who really wants a horse, pretends she is a horse, or is riding a horse.

Anonymous said...

I just tossed my old phone book, so I'm glad that you mentioned how you make your string blocks. I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.
cindy

sosarahsew said...

You might consider using dryer sheets for your foundation. I rarely use them in the dryer, but save those I do have. I just dug some out and see the ones I have measure 8.5 x 9. Nothing to tear off. I know the perfumes bother some people, but...

I haven't started this mystery, but think I need to. I'm saving the directions for a start in the new year.

Sarah

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin It

Follow Me on Pinterest